The Walking Dead starts tonight, and should serve as a reminder to the masses that this is our inevitable future.
Are you prepared?
If you’ve not asked yourself these serious questions, you should save your loved one the trouble of putting you down like a rabid dog and take yourself out of the game quickly. Fortunately, there’s still time. Ask yourself these questions. You get one point for every “Yes” answer.
The Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness Quiz
- Has your family rehearsed Apocalypse-escape routes from the home?
- Does your family know what to do before, during, and after a zombie attack?
- Has your family been trained in basic firearm use and safety?
- Hand to hand combat in tight or enclosed places?
- Do you have heavy objects hanging nearby that can be used to brain an attacker?
- Do you have access to an operational flashlight in every room?
- Do you keep shoes near your bed to protect your feet in case of imminent danger where you may have to flee or fight?
- If a water line broke, do you know how to shut off the main water line to the house?
- Can this water valve be turned off by hand without a tool, and do you have a tool if needed?
- Do you know where the main gas shut off valve to your house is located?
- Do you know how to siphon off gas to make a molotv cocktail to defend your home against raiders?
- Do you know to not set zombies on fire as that only makes them moving fire balls?
- In case of zombies setting fire to your home, do you know how to operate a fire extinguisher?
- Have you recently checked your fire extinguisher for charge?
- Do you have a store of weapons, either hand-operated or ammo-operated nearby?
- Are you capable of making a kill shot (to the head) with one shot?
- Can all family members make a kill shot if needed?
- Can you bring yourself to make a kill shot on an infected loved one?
- Are you capable of making reloads for your firearms?
- Is your storage of survival goods equipped with a minimum of 50 pounds each of saltpeter, charcoal, and sulfur?
- Do you have an emergency radio to monitor any government offers of support or aid?
- Have you devised a plan to erase all signs of life from your dwelling should the government collapse and chaos ensues? (Expect this)
- Have you designated a meeting place for your family members if the Apocalypse starts when you are all out of the house?
- Do you have sufficient food for everyone in the home, including useful pets?*
- What about the ability to cook and prepare this food in your shelter?
- Do you have sufficient water for drinking and sanitary needs, typically 1 gallon per person per day?
- Is there a first aid kit in your home, car, and safe house?
- Do you have tools for minor rescue and clean up operations?
- Do you have emergency cash/gold reserves for bartering? (Only necessary in first wave before society collapses.)
- Do you have a way to heat/cool your home without electricity?
- Do you have enough generators to power the amount of square footage/machines for your home or shelter?
- Storage of fuel sufficient to run said generators for a minimum of six months?
- Do you have the capability of converting generators to alternative sources of power such as geothermal, solar, wind, manual?
- Do you have a bare minimum of six month’s supply of medications on hand, including, but not limited to: prescriptions, aspirin, antibiotics, ammonia, ipecac, hydrogen peroxide, calamine lotion, bicarbonate of soda, antihistamines, sterile gauze?
- Have you planed a designated toilet area for when the water stops running as society crumbles?
- Do you have food, clothing and fuel for six months?
- A year?
- The ability to create said items for an indefinite amount of time (read: forever?)
- The ability to create fire without matches?
- Do you have seeds for important crops stored safely in a cool, dark, dry location?
- Do you have knowledge or materials detailing your USDA Hardiness Zone and a general understanding of when to plant specific crops?
- Do you have knowledge regarding irrigation methods or a basic know-how for dry gardening?
- Are you prepared for the responsibility of repopulating the earth with any healthy, viable person regardless of likability or orientation?
- Are you willing to take in people that have valuable skills (blacksmithing, weaving, hunting, superior food preparation, medical training beyond first aid, botany) regardless of their personalities or likability?
- Are you prepared to expel anyone that interferes with the survival of the group regardless of familial affiliation or other emotional connections?
- Do you have a copy of the following books; Gray’s Anatomy – Unabridged, Country Wisdom & Know-How, Gardening When It Counts, US Army-issue Field Survival Handbook, When Technology Fails, and any manuals to run/maintain/repair important machines such as generators, vehicles, solar energy storage units, etc?
*All caged animals should be considered a part of food storage when civilization begins its collapse, including, but not limited to: lizards, birds, gerbils, fish, rodents.
If you scored 40 or less, you have a lot of work to do, my friend. Start off by creating a 73 Hour Emergency Kit. Why the extra hour? You’re already dead if you’re asking that.
In your 73 hour emergency kit you should have:
- enough food & water for every member of your family, including important pets
- do I even have to remind you to have a can opener?
- medical supplies, including any routine medication, aspirin, bandages, braces, antiseptic, tweezers, heavy gauge thread and a needle, rubbing alcohol, and a multi-purpose tool
- clothing appropriate to the climate
- cash to grease the skids
- gasoline or petroleum to power vehicles, homes or generators
- weapons and their appropriate ammo
- twine and bailing wire – they always serve a purpose
- duct tape
Step one when a cataclysmic emergency presents itself, fill every receptacle in your house with water, from sinks to bathtubs to pots and pans. You can never have enough water stored.
Step two is to avoid panicking and racing to mega stores to stock up on supplies. If you don’t have supplies already, you may as well eat the end of a shotgun now.
While everyone is racing around getting in car accidents and fist fights, you’re working on step three: fortifying your home (or fleeing to your secret safe house.) Windows blocked, doors re-inforced, supplies moved to either the top floor of the home or secreted away in a basement with a false wall to hide it.
If your library isn’t organized, this is a great time to get all of your manuals and survivalist self-help books sorted.
Begin preparation for long term storage: will you remain in your home or will you wait for the first and second waves of death and destruction before bugging out? If you plan on leaving, begin organizing everyone’s loads, and everyone pitching in with supplies, or they can be locked outside and join the dead. THE TIME TO BE TOUGH IS NOW.
Determine where sleeping quarters will be. Gone are the days of privacy, that way leads to death. It’s tribal life or it’s getting intimate with the digestive system of the undead.
Let this serve as your warning. They’re coming; that’s not a question. The question is: will you survive?
Be sure to tune in to AMC every Sunday night for The Walking Dead, and our recaps every Monday morning. IT COULD JUST SAVE YOUR LIFE.